Ethnologia Fennica is an international journal of the Association of Finnish ethnologists. The journal publishes original scholarly articles, review articles, congress reports, and book reviews that promote Finnish ethnological research.
Ethnologia Fennica is an international journal of the Association of Finnish ethnologists Ethnos ry. The journal publishes original scholarly articles, review articles, congress reports, and book reviews from the field of ethnology and other related fields. The research articles undergo double-blind peer review.
Ethnologia Fennica has been funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture. The journal has received the Label for Peer-reviewed Scholarly Publications by the Federation of Finnish Learned Societies, and is ranked at the level two in the evaluation of the Finnish publication forum.
The articles in Ethnologia Fennica are indexed in several databases: see ulrichsweb.com.
Ethnologia Fennica is published once a year.
Open Access Policy
Ethnologia Fennica is a Green Open Access journal publishing original scholarly articles, review articles, conference reports, and book reviews from the field of ethnology and other related fields. At the moment articles are available from the year 2015 onwards.
Ethnologia Fennica permits authors to self-archive the post-print version (ie final draft post-refereeing) immediately after publication.
There are no article processing charges (APCS), submission charges or publication fees.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
The license of the published metadata is Creative Common CC 4.0 Universal (CC BY-NC 4.0)
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Rights of Publisher
The Publisher reserves the right to make such editorial changes as may be necessary to make the Work suitable for publication in the publication, e.g. style of punctuation, spelling, headings and the like.
The Publisher will publish the Work if the editorial process is successfully completed and reserves the right not to proceed with publication for whatever reason.
The publication entitles the author to no royalties or other fees.
This agreement will be governed by the laws of Finland.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Peer Review Process
Ethnologia Fennica has implemented the label for peer-reviewed scholarly publications of the Federation of Finnish Learned Societies and is committed to follow the guidelines for the label. More information about the label.
In order to ensure a blind review process, the authors are asked to follow the given instructions. Editorials, review articles, book reviews, conference reports and other material are assessed by the editorial board.
All research articles are subjected to double-blind peer-review conducted by at least two independent referees. The process will be carried out anonymously. In order to ensure a blind review process, the authors are asked to follow the given instructions. Editorials, review articles, book reviews, conference reports and other material are assessed by the editorial board. the statements from the reviewers and the publication decision are usually sent to the writer within three months of submission.
Submitting a Manuscript:
- Article manuscripts are mainly sought through open calls for abstracts. The editor-in-chief together with the editorial board of Ethnologia Fennica first processes the abstracts and names the editor(s) in charge for each provisionally accepted manuscript. The editors can make preliminary suggestions to the author before the manuscript is forwarded to the peer reviewers.
- The author is informed of the acceptance/rejection of his/her abstract within the timelines announced in the call for abstracts.
- The editor-in-chief/editors in charge request two persons to assess and write a statement on the manuscript.
- The reviewers are PhD-level researchers or other experts, external to the editorial board and independent in relation to the manuscript to be reviewed.
- The invited reviewer cannot be the author’s relative/supervisor/colleague, nor may he/she have co-authored a publication with the author within the last three years.
- The review process is carried out anonymously, but the manuscript and the reviewers’ contact information are archived for possible future need. (In order to ensure a blind review process, the authors are asked to follow the given instructions.)
- The reviewers should assess the comprehensiveness of the material used in the article, the author’s ability to master the theoretical framework, the reliability and accuracy of the research implementation as well as the originality and novelty of the results in relation to earlier research, according to the standards of the discipline in question.
- Each reviewer writes a statement in which he/she proposes the manuscript to be either rejected or accepted with minor/major revisions.
- Based on the reviewers’ statements, the editorial board makes the final decision on the acceptance of the manuscript.
- The editors inform the author of the acceptance/rejection of the manuscript and forward the reviewers’ statements (or a summary of them) to the author. The author should finalize the manuscript according to the reviewers’/editors’ suggestions in a given timeline.
Finnish Publication Forum
In the classification of scientific publication channels, made by Finnish Publication Forum, Ethnologia Fennica is rated on level 2 (leading publication in its field).