Temenos - Nordic Journal of Comparative Religion is published by the Finnish Society for the Study of Religion. Temenos publishes scholarly articles, academic discussions, conference reports and book reviews within the field of the study of religion and culture. Temenos is a Nordic journal and our primary focus is on Nordic topics and researchers.
Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor has it been submitted to another publisher for consideration.
- The text adheres to the Author Guidelines as stated on this website.
- The author has read the Copyright Notice as diplayed on the journal website and agrees to the conditions.
- The text does not exceed the standard word limit of 8000 words.
- The submission file format is either .doc, .docx, or .rtf.
- All authors are strongly recommended to use their Open Researcher and Contributor Identifier (ORCID) or register an account.
- All URLs (web addresses) are checked and marked with a date of last access.
- Where available, DOI-signifiers have been provided for works cited.
- All author identification information has been removed from the submission file(s), as well as from the document’s properties. No versions of the paper are available online.
- The author remains responsible for proofreading incl. citation accuracy and for all statements of fact or opinion.
- The author has cleared the copyright for any images, illustrations, graphs, or tables included in the submission.
- The research meets guidelines on publication ethics and malpractice in the research field.
Temenos is a Nordic journal, which means our primary focus is on Nordic topics and researchers. Secondary aims are to publish articles from outside the Nordic context which deal with central methodological and theoretical themes, articles based on presentations given at conferences organised in the Nordic countries and special thematic issues.
Manuscripts should be written in English and submitted to the Chief Editors Minna Opas and Sofia Sjö through this website. All manuscripts undergo peer review. Articles should not exceed 8.000 words and they should be accompanied by keywords and an abstract of no more than 200 words.
The journal welcomes proposals concerning newly published books in the field of religion to be reviewed. Scholars who want to submit reviews to the journal should contact the book review editor Alexandra Bergholm.
- The Author acknowledges that the Work will be publicly accessible on the Internet and that such access will be free of charge for the readers.
- The Author guarantees that the Work is her/his original work that has not been published before and cannot be construed as copying or plagiarism. Furthermore, the Author confirms that the Work contains no statement that is unlawful, defamatory or abusive or in any way infringes the rights of others.
- The Author confirms that she/he has secured all written permissions needed for the reproduction in the Publication of any material created by a third party.
Under the CC BY 4.0 license, the Author/s and users are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format,
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially,
- However, the Work must be attributed to the original Author and source of publication.
The license of the published metadata is Creative Commons CCO 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0)
The Authors maintain the right to:
- copyright, and other proprietary rights relating to the Work,
- the right to use the substance of the Work in future own works,
- the right to self-archiving/parallel publishing (publisher's PDF allowed).
Rights of Publisher
- The Publisher reserves the right to make such editorial changes as may be necessary to make the Work suitable for publication in the publication, e.g. style of punctuation, spelling, headings and the like.
- The Publisher will publish the Work if the editorial process is successfully completed and reserves the right not to proceed with publication for whatever reason.
- The publication entitles the author to no royalties or other fees. This agreement will be governed by the laws of Finland.
The names and email addressess entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purposes or to any other party.
The Federation of Finnish Learned Societies and the journal are joint controllers. Their respective responsibilities are described in the document.