Nordisk judaistik/Scandinavian Jewish Studies aims at promoting Jewish studies in Scandinavia by publishing scholarly articles, surveys and documents, by reviewing recent literature, and compiling bibliographies. The journal is multidisciplinary and welcomes articles from a vast range of research fields within which Jewish themes are analysed.
Focus and Scope
Nordisk judaistik/Scandinavian Jewish Studies aims at promoting Jewish studies in Scandinavia by publishing scholarly articles, surveys and documents, by reviewing recent literature, and compiling bibliographies. The journal is multidisciplinary and welcomes articles from a vast range of research fields within which Jewish themes are analysed, e.g. history, religious studies, linguistics, theology, anthropology, social sciences and the arts. The contributions are published in one of the Scandinavian languages, or in English, German or French, with an abstract in English. The journal is strictly academic and does not pursue any special religious, political or cultural policy.
The journal publishes open issues and thematic issues in co-operation with guest editors from all over the world, representing a broad span of academic disciplines and traditions relating to Jewish Studies. Articles are selected on the basis of a double blind peer-review process where two independent experts in the field review each article in a process where both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from each other.
Nordisk judaistik/Scandinavian Jewish Studies is currently included in the following databases and indexes:
- ATLA Religion Database (fulltext)
- Web of Science: Emerging Sources Citation Index
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- EBSCO database Academic Search Premier
- ERIH Plus
- Index Theologicus: International Bibliography of Theology and Religious Studies
- Religious Studies Bibliography (RelBib) (partially)
The journal is also included in queries in Google Scholar.
The journal is published with support from the Nordic Board for Periodicals in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NOP-HS).
The reviewers are asked to pay attention to the following aspects of the article in their written assessment:
- general significance of the topic
- attention to the relevant literature
- research design and data analysis
- logic of the argument
- quality of the writing and demonstrated relevance for the field.
On the basis of this assessment, the reviewer recommends one of the following decisions:
- Accept submission
- Revisions required
- Resubmit for review
- Resubmit elsewhere
- Decline submission
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. No subscription is needed to access the articles and no download fees are charged.
Authors are not charged for publications in this journal, neither submission fee nor article processing fee.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
The non-commercial use of the article is governed by the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License as currently displayed on https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/. However, the sections in this notice apply and prevail over all conflicting provisions.
- The Author grants the Publisher the exclusive right for commercial use of the Work according to this contract, throughout the world, in all forms and languages, for the full term of copyright.
- The Author acknowledges that the Work will be publicly accessible on the Internet and that such access will be free of charge for the readers.
- The Author guarantees that the Work is her/his original work that has not been published before and cannot be construed as copying or plagiarism. Furthermore, the Author confirms that the Work contains no statement that is unlawful, defamatory or abusive or in any way infringes the rights of others.
- The Author confirms that she/he has secured all written permissions needed for the reproduction in the Publication of any material created by a third party.
Under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license, the Author/s and users are free to share (copy, distribute and transmit the contribution) under the following conditions:
- the Work must be attributed to the Publication,
- the Work may not be used for commercial purposes,
- the Work may not be altered or transformed.
Rights of authors
The Authors maintain the right to:
- copyright, and other proprietary rights relating to the Work,
- the right to use the substance of the Work in future own works,
- the right to reproduce the Work for own purposes, provided it is not offered for sale; due acknowledgement must be given to the original place of publication and the Publisher must be informed in advance,
- the right to self-archive the Work.
Rights of Publisher
The Publisher reserves the right to make such editorial changes as may be necessary to make the Work suitable for publication in the publication, e.g. style of punctuation, spelling, headings and the like.
The Publisher will publish the Work if the editorial process is successfully completed and reserves the right not to proceed with publication for whatever reason.
The publication entitles the author to no royalties or other fees. This agreement will be governed by the laws of Finland.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Nordisk Judaistik/Scandinavian Jewish Studies was established in 1975 and was for several decades the leading academic journal in its field, well regarded not only within the Nordic countries but also in the international research community. It has published 26 volumes between the years 1975 and 2008. Due to discontinuation of funding and staff, the journal was slumbering for a number of years, but in 2016 it was again revived, this time as an open access e-journal. While the journal now publishes its issues online the aim is digitalise all previous volumes and post them on this site in the near future.